Please feel free to use my projects as inspiration for your own, but whenever possible, please link to my original idea & leave me a comment letting me know. Thanks so much!

Monday, July 2, 2012

DIY: Baby Leg Warmers

I was going to put our little Jae Bird in jeans for our family photo session, until I remembered she had this cute denim skirt; why not show off those adorable chubby knees at the only time in a girl's life when it is okay to point them out! I've LOVED leg warmers since I was a child in the 80's and got my first pair! It was decided, Jae Bird had to have a pair & rather than fork out a load of money for a store bought pair, I decided to make them. I set out for Goodwill with less than 24 hours left before our photo appointment hoping to find the perfect cotton clothing piece that had been cast aside, just for me to find. Due to the time constraints I had to take these photos & prepare this tutorial after the fact, but at least now you get to see a few CUTE photos of Jae Bird from our photo shoot.
LOOK AT THOSE ADORABLE KNEES!
 Cute long sleeved cotton shirt from Goodwill. I opted to cut the sleeves off for my leg warmers, but I did leave a cute cap sleeve on either side, just in case I decide I need to wear the shirt someday (chances are it will find another purpose before that day comes).
 I cut the sleeves to 18.5" long and then used my rotary cutter & ruler to cut the seam off leaving each sleeve 3" folded (6" flat). I left the original wrist seam in tact & then sewed the length of each sleeve back up with a 1/4" seam.
You could stop at the last step & fold the top down & sew, but I LOVE a good slouch on a pair of leg warmers, so I used a pair of baby tights to give me just a little more control over how the leg warmers slouched. I cut two 7" lengths off a pair of tights and slid them over the sleeve that is turned wrong side out.

 Fold the top down over the tights & then keep pulling the rest of the length through until they are right side out & the top is completely tucked in.
Finished and ready to wear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment